Great Plains Custom Development: Dexterity, VBA, SQL, Crystal, eConnect – Overview For Programmer
Microsoft Great Plains is most important Microsoft Business Solutions accounting bundle for the United States market. It has more than one customization/modification/reporting tools. Currently there may be improve campaign to model 8.Zero and because of the discontinuation of the technical assist for Microsoft Great Plains Standard on Ctree and Pervasive SQL – we see massive boom in migration needs: migration from ctree/Pervasive to MSDE/MS SQL Server. This in turn increases interest to customization and customization upgrade.
If you are developer who is asked: how do we customize Great Plains – read this and you will have the clues on in which to appearance similarly.
- Great Plains Dexterity – this is proprietary programming language and era, designed again to in advance 1990th with the intention to build platform independent graphical accounting bundle – Great Plains Dynamics. Dexterity itself is written in C (following popular those days wish – that C will offer platform independence). You can install Dexterity from Great Plains 7.Five CD #2. Obviously it calls for plenty of studying / training, but it permits your custom piece be seamlessly incorporated with Great Plains interface. Nowadays, but – and this is a superb component – most of Great Plains installations are moved to SQL Server – so that you can use Dexterity for custom forms drawing most effective and make the buttons run SQL stored tactics.
- Modifier with VBA. Unfortunately you need to buy this tool and get new registration keys. If you’re acquainted with VBA customization for Access or Excel – you have all of the capabilities wanted – then you definately just attach your scripts to the buttons and fields on GP bureaucracy (you can alter those forms with Modifier – or simply hard them with it).
- Continuum for VB/Delphi – we do not advocate this tool, due to the fact it’s far the usage of Great Plains as OLE server – and you possibly don’t need to be trapped by using old generation.
- Crystal Reports. Great Plains has its own ReportWriter, but its functionality is restrained – you can’t do pass modules reviews (you can not link Sales and Purchasing tables in one report, as an instance). So – you operate Crystal. The GP tables shape is in Tools->Resource Description->Tables … And you are on top of things. Feel free to create views and stored procs directly in the corporations databases – it would not harm the Dexterity engine
- Direct web publishing from Great Plains SQL databases, the usage of Visual Studio.Internet and your language of desire (VB.Net, C#, J#, and many others). Plus you probable need to have numerous SQL saved procs.
- eConnect – this device is kind of SDK with VB.Internet samples. It permits you to feed records into Great Plains and became normally created for eCommerce developers.
- Integration Manager – it’s far cease-consumer device for importing to GP, but if cease-person meets some challenges inside the integration – you as a developer can assist with VBA scripts. IM validates a hundred% of commercial enterprise good judgment and makes use of hidden GP forms – so it maybe sluggish for huge on-going integrations, if you have heaps records per day – in this case you rescue to eConnect or immediately to SQL save approaches.
- SQL queries – as a developer you have limitless potential in the use of SQL queries, because the database in MS SQL Server. Be careful, it’s miles type of surgical treatment – you could without problems delete all of your customers, by using executing: DELETE RM00101